Autism Spectrum Disorder
(ASD) is a developmental disability that can cause significant
social, communication and behavioral challenges. There is often nothing about how people with
ASD look that sets them apart from other people, but people with ASD may communicate,
interact, behave, and learn in ways that are different from most other people. The learning,
thinking, and problem-solving abilities of people with ASD can range from gifted to severely
challenged. Some people with ASD need a lot of help in their daily lives; others need less. A diagnosis of ASD now includes several conditions that used to be diagnosed separately:
autistic disorder, pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS), and
Asperger syndrome. These conditions are now all classified as ASD.
~ Center for Disease Control, April 2018 ~
“About 1 in 59 children has been identified with ASD..."
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
● Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is
the scientific study of behavior.
● Behavior is anything a person or animal does that can be observed and measured.
● Behavior analysts are primarily interested in the role of the environment on behavior
Environmental variables include any changes in the environment (i.e., a rise in
availability of food, comments by other people, cultural customs).
● ABA is representational of a clear and systematic way to describe, observe & measure
● ABA is a science that uses very specific information about behavior to choose
interventions to improve
socially significant behavior.
● ABA focuses on increasing maintenance, generalization and independence.
● ABA involves data-driven assessment & intervention
● ABA is research based.
For more information on ABA please go to link below: